Second Annual CFN Meeting Held
On November 9-11, 2011, representatives from the 12 CFN member organizations held their second annual gathering, hosted by the San Diego Fishermen's Working Group and facilitated by staff from supporting members Ecotrust and the Island Institute. During the three-day event, the group was engaged in a wide range of activities, including:
- Developing a first draft of sustainability standards and metrics
- Learning about the Cape Cod Fisheries Trust program
- Exploring organizational-structure options for community fisheries organizations
- Discussing resources for business-planning assistance
- Sharing information about innovations in electronic monitoring, catch accounting, product traceability
CFN members also had a great time getting to know each other during shared meals and breaks, and they connected with some of the area fishermen at a "Meet Your Fishermen" mixer and dinner held at the Sea Rocket Bistro, known for its emphasis on locally harvested seafood . Pete Halmay and the other good folks from the San Diego Fishermen's Working Group did an amazing job of coordinating the venues, activities and ensuring that everyone who attended got a hefty helping of San Diego hospitality.